I couldn't find quite the embossing folder I could view in my mind (frame with room for text or something in the middle, and some texture and interest around the edge). So I made one (or several, I wanted a heart, but that wasn't so successful so I settled for a circular frame and an oval frame).
I used around 6-8 layers of card, which was about the height of the one of my clear plates on my bigshot. Such that I could use my home made layer instead of the card plate. However, in some instances, this wasn't quite enough and I had to use my silicone mat as well eg for the spellbinders impressibilities. Although I cut each layer out and glued them together as a stack, it might be that using a layer or two of cereal boxes works as well depending what plates you use etc.
most effective with embossing folders with a lot of pattern and a simple shape frame. I tried a heart with a background of cogs, but had too much space inbetween cogs, you lost the heart shape! I tried using the middles to make a shape which could be embossed in the center (or else where), but that wasn't so effective (or maybe I'd not worked out how to make the best use of it).
Embossing folders: x-cut cable knit, Sue Wilson Daisy Burst & Spellbinders impressabilities flowers
Dies: Tattered lace delightful flowers, SU butterfly embosslits & button from My Favourite Things Button Border die
Stamp: Stylized Birthday from Stampin up
Inks: Distress inks - evergreen bough, blueprint sketch & chipped sapphire